Sunday, October 12, 2008

To marinate or not to marinate - that is the question.

If you have been following my weekly blog, I've already mentioned marinating meats is a matter of choice in most cases. For some meats, it's a must to help break down the muscle to make it more tender.

Outside meats, meaning working muscles like skirt or flank, need marinating to promote tenderness. If you’re purchasing your meats from the average grocer, you may have to marinate even the non-working muscles like the rib eye, tenderloin and strip steaks because of the lack of quality and/or little to no age of the product.

New customers generally return the second time and say they can't go back to the grocery store to buy their meats since they have had ours at My Butcher and More. Our meats are fine steakhouse quality all the time. If my quality was the same as the grocery store, I'd be out of business already.

You get what you pay for. I don't think we're expensive - I think the grocery stores just sell cheap product. If you want to use a simple wet seasoning mixture, try olive oil, chopped garlic, cracked black peppercorns and sea salt. These subtle flavors can be added to all kinds of meat, beef to poultry. If you want to use a tenderizer, add a little fresh lemon juice. The acid breaks down the muscle of the meat.

See you on your next visit to the My Butcher and More!

Mike the Butcher

www.mybutcherandmore.com
meatheadchef@aol.com

No comments: