Sunday, September 28, 2008

To Season or Not To Season? That is the question.

Our Roseda Dry Aged Beef has such a natural nutty flavor that I feel it's almost sacreligious to add any additional seasoning. Kobe beef also has its own flavor characteristics that shouldn't be adulterated.

Now when talking about our regular wet aged beef, veal, lamb, or pork, salt and pepper works for me just to enhance the natural flavors in the meat.

Dredging meat in heavy seasonings like season all, blackening seasoning, or Cajun rubs has its benefits if you’re in the mood for lesser expensive meats and you need to add flavor or use these added seasonings to help tenderize the meat. But let's face it, if you’re purchasing a quality well aged middle meat from a reputable butcher like a rib eye, strip or tenderloin steak, you should not have to add any enhancers to it.

I have had the same question time and time again -- Doesn't salt pull the juices from the meat? I really don't think so. In general I lightly salt and pepper my steaks once they have come down to room temperature and sear them on high heat. Once seared they’re sealed! Now if you stab, fork, or press down on your steak, you better believe it's going to lose a lot of its natural juices. Try using tongs instead.

I'm a salt lover, but I also appreciate a good steak, so I know my limitations. Let’s face it - it's all about what you like. I'm not going to tell you how you like your steak.

I see new customers coming in all the time and ask how they should marinade our steaks. My advice is always that you should not have to marinade a well aged middle meat (strip, tenderloin or rib eye).

I bet you if you still continue to use these marinades or heavy seasoning with our steaks you will still see a BIG difference in better quality. But please try our steaks without all that added seasoning. Appreciate the natural quality.

If you learn to appreciate one of our fine steaks with little to no seasoning, you can be assured it will be healthier for you and better for your children in the long run, especially our all natural and organic meats.

If you have any questions, I will try to answer them. If I do not have the answer, I will try my best to find it for you. Just send me an email or stop by My Butcher and More and say hi!

Happy Grilling!

Mike Smollon
meatheadchef@aol.com for questions
http://www.mybutcherandmore.com/

No comments: